J. Robert Seder is Of Counsel at Seder & Chandler practicing in the Banking and Finance, Real Estate and Business Law, areas. Robert’s practice focuses commercial loan transactions, workouts, and related issues, including bilateral and syndicated asset-based and commercial real estate loans; private securities offerings and debt and equity capitalizations; joint ventures; mergers and acquisitions; and other corporate transactions arising out of the day-to-day operations of his business clients. He serves as counsel to a number of business organizations, state and federally-chartered credit unions and banks in connection with both internal corporate and transactional-based matters.
Mr. Seder has represented both secured and unsecured creditors in bankruptcy proceedings, and he is often engaged by his lending clients in complex work-outs and financial restructurings, and in other matters involving bringing troubled credit relationships back to performing status.
Mr. Seder assists both commercial lenders and borrowers in structuring, negotiating and documenting a wide variety of both small- and large-scale credit facilities and loans, including those involving complex, multi-tranche credit facilities; commercial real estate and construction loans; asset-based loan facilities; accounts receivable financings and specialized healthcare receivable financings; and inventory and equipment-based facilities.
Mr. Seder frequently lectures on matters of Bankruptcy Law and Asset Based Lending. He has served on numerous boards including the Worcester Human Rights Commission; Legal Aid Society; Jewish Federation of Central Massachusetts; Executive Committee, Jewish Healthcare Center; Greater Worcester Community Foundation; Worcester Municipal Research Bureau; Executive Committee, Worcester Business Development Corporation and the Bankruptcy Literacy Program.
- Represented a large, publicly-traded national energy company in a series of multi-million dollar transactions involving acquisitions of other energy companies east of the Mississippi River. The transactions were successfully negotiated and consummated by these Seder & Chandler partners often under time-sensitive conditions.
- Represented a regional lender in connection with an extension of an $25MM+ construction loan of credit facility for the financing of constructing a multi-unit apartment complex.
- Represented the independent director of a Hong Kong subsidiary of a Ch. 11 Debtor in connection with intercompany claims in the negotiation of an intercompany agreement. Lengthy negotiations were successfully conducted in New York City, with multiple counsel, over a six (6) week period.
- Represented numerous domestic and foreign lenders in connection with extensions of various lines of credit, term and commercial real estate mortgage loan facilities in excess of $5B, in the aggregate.
- Massachusetts, 1964
- New York, 1965
- U.S. District Court District of Massachusetts, 1970
- U.S. District Court Southern District of New York, 1967
- U.S. District Court Northern District of New York, 1967
- U.S. Court of Appeals 2nd Circuit, 1966
- New York University School of Law, New York, New York
- J.D. – 1964
- Brown University, Providence, Rhode Island
- B.A. – 1961
- Major: English Literature
- Fidelity Co-op Bank (Banking)
- Peoples United Bank (Banking)
- Clinton Savings Bank (Banking)
- Osterman Associated Companies (Propane Gas Distribution)
- Data Guide Cable Corporation (Manufacturing)
- Lecturer, Bankruptcy Law and Asset Based Lending, Massachusetts Continuing Legal Education
Honors and Awards
- Fellow, American College of Bankruptcy 2004-Present
- U.S. News – Best Lawyers® Best Lawyers – Corporate Lawyer of the Year
- U.S. News – Best Lawyers® Best Lawyers 1989-Present
- SuperLawyers® 2005-Present
- Peer Review Distinguished™ rated by Martindale-Hubbell
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Jewish Healthcare Center, President, 2004 to 2007
- Jewish Healthcare Center, Executive Committee, 2000
- Legal Aid Society, President, 1972 to 1975
- Worcester Business Development Corporation, Chairman, 2011 to 2013
- Worcester Regional Research Bureau (1989-Present Director)
- Worcester Business Development Corporation, Vice Chairman, 2009 to 2010
- Worcester Regional Research Bureau , Clerk, 1982 to 1984
- Massachusetts; U.S. District Court for the District of Massachusetts
- New York; U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of New York
- U.S. Court of Appeals 2nd Circuit
- Worcester Human Rights Commission, Chairman, 1973 to 1977
Past Employment Positions
- Seligson & Morris (New York, NY), Associate, 1965 to 1967
Pro Bono Activities
- Participant in Bankruptcy Literacy Program, 2009