Mr. Burton Chandler, during his notable legal career, was recognized in Massachusetts State and Federal Courtrooms as one of the foremost litigators of his generation. Mr. Chandler is now retired from formal law practice. Prior to his retirement, he faithfully practiced law, throughout Central Massachusetts for sixty-years. His steadfast and spirited advocacy extended beyond civil trials and appeals to estate planning, business formation, taxation, and commercial law.
The American Civil Liberties Union of Massachusetts honored Mr. Chandler in 2008, with its Lifetime Achievement Award. As lead counsel on many prominent civil rights cases, he was fervently dedicated to the preservation and defense of individuals’ rights and liberties.
A graduate of Harvard University (A.B. cum laude-1956) and Harvard Law School (LL.B-1959) , Mr. Chandler was recognized for nearly 30 years by U.S. News & World Report as one of The Best Lawyers in America® in Commercial Litigation law, Corporate law and Construction law. Mr. Chandler passionately advocated for clients in courtrooms across the Commonwealth including the Massachusetts Supreme Judicial Court, U.S. Tax Court, US. Court of Appeals, 1st Circuit Court of Appeals and U.S. District Court of Massachusetts.
Mr. Chandler served on the boards of countless professional and civic organizations including the Worcester County Bar Association and the Massachusetts Bar Association, where he served as Chairman of the Judicial Practice Committee. He served on the boards various non-profits and community entities such as Worcester’s Jewish Federation, the Worcester Jewish Community Center and Jewish Family Service of Worcester. He was an Incorporator of the former Worcester Five Cent Savings Bank, a former President of the Harvard Club of Worcester, and served as an Adjunct Professor of Business Law at Anna Maria College in Paxton, MA.
Mr. Chandler resides in Worcester, Massachusetts with his wife, Massachusetts State Senator and President Emerita, Harriette Chandler.
- Massachusetts, 1959
- U.S. District Court District of Massachusetts, 1960
- U.S. Court of Appeals 1st Circuit, 1973
- U.S. Supreme Court, 1997
- U.S. Tax Court, 1965
- Harvard University Law School, Cambridge, Massachusetts
- LL.B – 1959
- Harvard College, Cambridge, Massachusetts
- A.B. – 1956
- Honors: cum laude
- Major: Government
- LWK vs. ERC, 432 Mass. 438, 2000
- Anna Maria College, Adjunct Professor
Honors and Awards
- Lifetime Achievement Award, Worcester Chapter of American Civil Liberty Unions of Massachusetts
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Worcester Jewish Federation, Board of Directors
- Worcester Jewish Community Center, Board of Directors
- Jewish Family Service of Worcester Association, Past President
- Harvard Club Worcester, Past President
- Incorporator of the former Worcester Five Cent Savings Bank
- Massachusetts Bar Association, Chairman, Judicial Practice Committee
Pro Bono Activities
- Variety of Civil Rights Cases, 1959 to 2009