WORCESTER 508-471-3018
Metro West 508-709-0024

Posts tagged "child support"

College Education Expenses and Child Support

The support of children during and following a divorce is a complex matter. The interplay between child support and college education expenses is an example of this. Payment of college education expenses, like child support, can be enforced, modified, or terminated in the Probate Court. Typically, when a child is attending college full time and is still financially dependent on a parent, they are not "emancipated". In Massachusetts, child support may not end when your child turns 18 and graduates from high school. Child support can continue up to age 23 or when the child graduates from college. In most cases, a divorce agreement will anticipate how the financial needs of a "adult-child" will be met including college education expenses. In others the Court will decide the issue of support of a child over 18.

Surrogacy agreement could complicate talk show host's divorce

When it comes to getting a heads up about the divorce process, some people find personal stories incredibly helpful. Whether these stories come courtesy of family and friends or from celebrities in the tabloids, though every case is different, sometimes hearing about someone else's plight can affirm that you are not the only one who has struggled with the legal process.

Clerical error sends dad to jail for failing to pay child support

Most states across the nation, including our state of Massachusetts, recognize how important it is to enforce child support orders handed down by family law judges. Because of how important these payments are to the parent and child receiving them, some states even have programs that offer wage garnishment. This not only ensures that the ordered funds reach the child, but the parent responsible for making the payment does not suffer any legal consequences for not paying.

Are there signs of divorce for Massachusetts' couples?

Marriages often go through highs and lows. But are there signs that a marriage is headed for divorce? The answer is: maybe. Some experts believe there are clear cut signs that a divorce is on the horizon, while others may be doubtful. Either way, Massachusetts residents should take note of the following signs of a souring marriage and ask themselves if it is time for them to move on.

Massachusetts study finds divorce may be socially contagious

Many in Massachusetts may look at their family members and friends and think that everyone is getting divorced. While that certainly is not true, a new study suggests that divorce may be contagious. According to the study, conducted in Massachusetts by Brown University, found that 75 percent of those who had a friend divorced were more likely to get divorced themselves. Also, 33 percent of those who had a friend of a friend get divorced were more likely to file for marriage dissolution. Researchers say the increased chance of divorce can be attributed to "social contagion," where attitudes, behaviors and information are spread and shared amongst groups of family and friends.

High asset divorce focuses on art collection

Though it does not have to be, divorce can be contentious under any circumstances. However, a heated divorce may be more likely when a splitting couple has significant assets and high income. Under these circumstances, arguments may develop over asset division and alimony, the outcomes of which could make or break the financial futures of those involved.

Those facing gray divorce should address retirement accounts

As many Massachusetts residents may have heard, so-called "gray divorces," those that occur between couples age 50 and older, are becoming more common. In fact, a study conducted by researchers at Bowling Green State University found that gray divorces doubled between 1990 and 2010. In fact, nearly 25 percent of all divorces in 2010 were amongst those 50 and older, and the figure is expected to rise in the coming years.

Billionaire keeps controlling interest in company after divorce

The decision whether or not to get a divorce can be complicated by many legal issues, such as child custody, child support, alimony and division of marital property and debts. The matter may be exacerbated when the divorcing couple has a lot of assets. In these instances, parties may fight over what they believe is theirs, and the final determination can mean the difference between starting a new life that is financially sound and starting one that is financially unstable. With finances playing an integral role in a party's well-being, it may be best for these individuals to seek out a legal professional who will represent the party's best interests.

Star's father obtains child support modification after losing job

Child support is a serious divorce legal issue. It is important to support a child's best interests, and paying child support can help cover his or her education, medical and every day needs. Though the court system attempts to reach a fair amount of payment which the owing parent should pay to the custodial parent, sometimes changed circumstances make it difficult or impossible for the owing parent to make full payments. In these instances, it may be possible to obtain a child support modification.

Email Our Team

Contact Us Today To Learn More

The skilled attorneys at SederLaw stand ready to handle even your most difficult legal issues. Turn to us for skilled representation to help you accomplish your legal goals.

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

An Impressive Track Record
Of Achievement In The Law


Worcester Office
339 Main Street
Suite 300
Burnside Building
Worcester, MA 01608

Phone: 508-709-0024
Phone: 508-471-3018
Fax: 508-831-0955
Map & Directions

Metro West Office
1900 West Park Drive
Suite 280
Westborough, MA 01581

Phone: 508-471-3018
Fax: 508-831-0955
Map & Directions